Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thursday, and swimming lessons

Had another swimming lesson today, and it was interesting. Lea? Leigh? was my instructor, and we had no set thing that we were going to work on. I started out by doing a few lengths and letting her critique my technique, so to speak. On the first few, she commented that I needed to keep my elbows higher, but other than that, said my technique was excellent. My kick is still weak, so that my bum is still low in the water, and therefore dragging too much.

We did a count of how many strokes it take me to get from one end to the other, and it takes 30 strokes. She wanted to work on improving that, thinking that 20 strokes to cross 25 meters would be a good target. It would require a really long stretch, and good pull and good technique, and therefore a good target.

We worked a bit on my technique for breast stroke. If I remember, when I first did it, I had absolutely no coordination, and was floundering immediately. Now, I get good propulsion on the kick, she said my head level in the water was just about perfect, only thing that I might do is take some extra time in the glide. I did find that when I am gliding in the breast stroke, I am really straining in my legs to stretch out as much as possible, and my quads were almost done after a few lengths. This is weird, as there is lots of time to relax in there, and therefore, the quads should not be burning at all. Another thing to work on, spending more time in the glide, and relaxing the legs so that this is an easy stroke.


All in all, a good lesson. I first got in the pool in mid february. In just shy of three months, I have huge improvement, so this swimming thing just might be doable. Still searching for my rhythm though, but it feels like its really close now. Practice makes perfect, and thats it what the next few days will bring, more practice.

Time for more sleep. Seems thats the one part of the training that I am not paying attention to, and we should talk further about this topic...

No comments: