Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday, and the Police Half

What a race, and what a training run!

I started at 6:52 am, leaving my front door on my run. I calculated that it was almost exactly 10K from my front door to the starting line, so I did an easy run there. Took about 1 hour, which was the pace that I want to run it at. However, once I got there, I planned to find a bathroom, and eat a gel. That was all I planned, and it was ultimately my downfall.

I arrived on time, found and empty bathroom, found the start line, and had my gel (which I almost choked on because Rob found me and patted me on the back as I was about to swallow). Also found Helen at the start line, which was kinda cool too. But what I did not do was any kind of stretching. Well, about halfway (or less) into the race, my legs just ached, and even advil did not help. It was impossible to accelerate, and just keeping a 5:00 ish pace was tough.

I finished in 1:50. Geoff finished in 1:44 and change, and he felt it was a really tough race as well, lots of hills and such.

On one hand, this does not bode well for the marathon, if I cant even hold last years race pace. On the other hand, I recovered quickly, and I have never done this half marathon race well, particularly when using it as training for a marathon. So, shake it off, treat it as a good training run, and be done with it.

No comments: