Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Longest swim this training cycle, 3.2k with Bruce Hagel

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1243270184

We have been having Tornado warnings and thunderstorm for several days now, and today looked like it was going to cancel our swim.  Bruce texted to say that he was going to run instead, because the weather was still ugly in the afternoon.  at 5pm, he  He texted to invite for a swim RFN, so I got repacked (equipment still spread out from GWN), and got to the lake in 20 minutes.

Nathalie Hagel accompanied us in a kayak, nice to have the backup.

Our plan was for a 3k swim, and its now 2 days after GWN.  The first leg to the island felt comfortably hard.  leg north didn't feel as good, couldn't decide what, if anything was wrong.  After recovering, we headed out on the first 1k leg,  It started to feel relaxed and comfortable about half way through this lap.  Bruce was still way faster.

On the last leg, Nathalie headed in to get on with the evening, and Bruce and I headed out.  At the beginning, this felt very easy and strong, and I really wanted to know what I was doing right. we ended up at the next three checkpoints (north, island, shore) at about the same time.

I did start to feel some fatigue at the last leg of the swim, but it was not significant.

It appears that I needed to swim just over 1000m, with breaks, in order to shake off the fatigue of the weekend.  What it really did was take that long to get everything properly firing, and getting my technique back sort of in order.  My brain was being hard on me, doubting my swimming ability and question whether I really had maintained or improved my technique in the off-season.

In trying to measure my recovery, I would say that I am comfortably tired, as after a good days training, but not feeling any deeper fatigue.  The bike ride in the morning will be the real test, with the Strava segment "Haddon Hustle", a 2 minute time trial after about 5-10 minutes of warmup.  2 minutes of effort is not enough to hamper recovery if I am still fatigued.

My progression for open water swims this year has been

1 - 800m
2 - 1600m
3 - 1900m  (GWN)
4 - 3200m

and 5 will be 4200m.   We will try to get 4 swims of at least this distance in before I go to Calgary 70.3 and Bruce goes to Ironman Canada - Whistler.

No comments: