Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sloshy stomach and salt caps....

One of the things that I was worried about, after the Berlin Marathon started, was hydration and salt. Due to fatigue (I think), when I ran my paces in Berlin, I would sweat like I was standing in the shower. Every water stop was giving us full water glasses with about 7 ozs of water, which might be closer to what you should be drinking. I knew I had to drink a lot, based on how much I was sweating, and also needed to avoid sloshy stomach.

I was also taking salt capsules with somethink like 600 mg of sodium in each, taking one every 8 k (so at 8, 16 24, 32). This was the first race that I would be taking salt, and I would find out this race how my body reacted. And as it turned out, I think it reacted very well.

I had several times where I was getting sloshy stomach, and it was most noticeable at the 24 and 32k marks, because when I took a salt cap, it went away.

Do salt caps cure sloshy stomach? based on Berlin, I would vote yes. But more reaearch is required.

No comments: