Thursday, May 13, 2010

Splash, Pedal and Gasp Sprint triathlon Race Report- May 9, 2010


"Apeture"
Artwork at the University of Lethbridge campus

2010 edition of Splash, Pedal, and Gasp.
30 LAQUA, GORDON 377 SPR40-49M 00:15:50.00 79 00:48:14.90 16 00:29:17.90 25 01:33:22.80 CALGARY

2009 for comparison
30 LAQUA, GORDON 274 SPR40-49M 00:17:42.88 86 00:43:11.07 23 00:28:05.20 13 01:28:59.15 CALGARY

Full results can be found here.

Morning.
- kinda crappy weather, although the precipitation is over. Overcast, big clouds. When the sun did peak through, it felt warm. Adjust clothing from there
- Discussing flat tires with Lorna, do the last minute pump up, and her front tire flats. It was actually cut right at the stem, from trying to pull off the pump. We wait until after the poolside meeting, and then I showed Lorna how to fix a flat.
- Have really minimal setup in transition this year. No socks. I am wearing the Zoot tri shirt during the swim. so my transition bag has
- road shoes
- Asics running hat
- racing flats with speed laces (The orange Saucony Fastwitch 3's)
- Biking jacket (its windy)
- Helmet
- Sunglasses
- Full Fingered Gloves (and its not warm)
- Towel to stand on

It felt lighter, and a lot off the mind to not worry about shirt and socks. Never got my heart rate monitor on, because I did not want to fight with the wet shirt to get it placed. Probably should have, so we could see what it spiked to later.


Swim like a frog!
Swim - 15:50
Improved from last years time of 17:42. Swim felt easier than last, must be getting some results. Started 5th in the lane, Lorna started 6th, she passes me in the first 25m. I went 250m without taking a break, but had to start because the lanes got crowded, but I could not get going fast enough to past, so I was stuck doing a too-slow breast stroke. Ended up doing the last 50m as side stroke, because my breathing was getting too hard, and had to keep may face out of the water. Should have done backstroke.


Nice Bike.
Nice Legs, Shame about the Face.
Bike 00:48:14.90
Quite a bit slower than last years time at 00:43:11.07. The headwind slowed the pace outbound, and couldn't go fast enough on the way back to make up for it.
- According to Mr Garmin, Max speed was 29Kph, and looked like I averaged around 25Kph.
- on the way out, my nose was stuffy and running, wanted to blow a snot rocket, but didn't want it to spray back at me in the wind. Right after the turnaround, I turn and finally blow the snot rocket, just as a women racer was passing me. I think I only hit her front wheel. I must have said sorry 5 times as she passed, and whe went from disgusted to smiling ( I think ).
- On the way back, max speed of 44kph, average speed closer to 35kph.
- Almost T-boned a van at the 15K mark. Bugger was second in line, and decided to follow the first car out into intersection. I was luckily up on the brakes, braked hard, and turned left with the Van. He stopped, I swerved around him, up the left side of the two lane, past a car with open windows, loudly cursing all the way through. I heard the car I passed swearing back at me, but theres no gesture you can make to apologize, so I rode hard. The only comment is that I had plenty of horseshoes hidden somewhere in the spandex. Good thing that split front seat makes it more comfortable.
- using lobster gloves and biking jacket was good, never got too hot, and hands didn't feel sweaty until into T2


Running hard to the finish
Run 00:29:17.90
this was 50 seconds slower than last years 00:28:05.20. I think I wasn't thinking about running hard, still thinking about almost hitting that Van.
- took walk breaks at first two water stations on the way out.
- after first 1k, I ran a fairly consistent 4:45 pace, which was pretty good for me
- walked the last 20m up the hill, cause that was faster than what I was running, then ran hard to the finish
- wore the bike jacket for the run, but warmed up and tied it around waist at the halfway point. I should know better. Ran Vegas marathon in compression shirt and shorts at 4 degrees celcius, and felt great.


Seriously happy to be finished

All-in-all, good race day. My sister Lorna had a great race, was a little frustrated in the pool but put in a good 13:41, really enjoyed the bike ride, as it was finally setup properly (I am not going to call it fitted :-)), didn't have to stretch for the hoods, and I lowered the seat more than last time, so teh pedal length felt comfortable. And her run was what it was, which is what I am usually seeing so far. Did it in just under 2 hours.

She could have had many different reactions, so I was hoping it was not "Never gonna do that again". She almoost immediately began making comments about things she would do differently next year. Too Cool!

More swim pictures

Backstroke


Sidestroke

No comments: